Boston Globe -- Real Estate

Thursday, May 6, 2010

Pricing your home-- 3 questions to ask yourself


What would make my home more desirable over a foreclosure or perhaps a short sale?

If my home were to be appraised, why would an it be valued more than a short sale or a foreclosure property?

What things could I do to make the exterior look more desirable than all other property's in my direct neighborhood?

In this competitive market you must present your home as "the best deal". That means getting your home in tip-top shape and priced with in the price point of other homes in your neighborhood especially if they are distressed sales. If you offer the best, a buyer is going to gravitate to your property and seal the deal.

The flip side to all of this is that if you have a similar home that is bank owned and needs 20k in work then you might want to increase your home price accordingly. This levels the playing field without loosing $$$'s against a bank owned property.

In my opinion buyers want a combination of things. What tops my list are property's that have excellent value and do not need costly improvements to fit their needs.